I have completed many races since I posted here last. The above photo was Sky Island 50k. In my last post I said that I was gong to only run trails in 2016 and I did just that! What a great year it was. The fun thing was that each race got progressively more challenging for me as I got braver and begin to choose races with more technical trails and longer distances. This year, 2017, I have cut back on racing in order to save money and have more time to train between races. Here are a few things I wrote down as lessons from two of my races.
Bandera 100k 2017
- Drink pickle juice before , during and after the race for cramping.
- Drink more water!
- Bring my own food because you can’t depend on aid stations to have your favorites or even anything a gluten free person can eat besides fruit.
- When the temperature drops below freezing, your water in your hydration pack tube will freeze.
- Make hotel reservations early!
- Buy new shoes way before race day.
- Extra clothes in a drop bag for cold races.
- Have a plan to help your pacer can arrive at race on time.
- Buy trekking poles for this race.
- Bring plenty of extra headlamps and batteries.
- Practice jumping down from things.
- Be brave.
- Take more photos !
Rocky Raccoon 50 miler 2017
- Run your own race, don’t wait for slower friends, you’ll regret it later.
- Bring extra clothes if it’s hot.
- Push yourself in the last loop.
- Don’t plan to drive home right after a 50 miler.
- Check your tent bag to make sure all parts are in the bag.
- Get a hotel instead of camping, lol!
- Do more extra long runs in training.
And some general stuff I’ve learned since my last post.
- I don’t mind running and training alone.
- Podcasts are my friend.
- Hill training is worth it. Find the biggest hill!
- Stairmaster is good training for steep climbs.
- Don’t overeat after a long run.
- Treadmill hill workouts aren’t as boring as flat treadmill workouts.
- GOOD POSTURE is important to running form
- Never take your running for granted or over-train.
- Family must come first.
- Pacing is as much fun as racing!
- I like GU Rocktane Endurance drink, but not Tailwind. I like GU gels AND Spring Energy.